Oh how I love this time of year. The pretty leaves, the cooler weather, the earlthy smell in the air. Autumn is the best! We were up at the cabin for my recent birthday and the fall colors were just about at peak. My daughter and I went for a little walk down by Little Willow River and got some amazing photos:
In knitting news, I finished my Frostfangs hat!! It was a labor of love for a while there, because I adapted the pattern to work with DK weight yarn rather than fingering weight. This meant I had to cast on less stitches and decrease the number of repeats of the tree pattern. Also, I had to omit some of the rows otherwise the hat would have gotten really tall and deep. I didnt really have a method to my madness, just skipped a row that looked similar to the row before it here and there, and then did my own thing when it came to the decreases on the crown. I think it turned out quite nice though!
The yarn is, as per my usual, Madelinetosh Tosh DK. The pattern is available on ravelry HERE. I did add some pattern notes on my project page describing how I modified my version, but they are by no means complete.
I also recently finished a Buttercup Dress for a swap on ravelry through the group Baby Swap. If you have little ones, or like to knit for little ones, I highly recommend this group. Ive participated in the swaps maybe 4-5 times now and I have never been disappointed. For my Buttercup Dress I again used Tosh DK. The blue is in color way Cloud Dweller, but I cant recall the name of the pink. The buttons are by Buttons by Robin on etsy.
In other crafty news, I saw this awesome plaque made from aged wood and agates glued in the shape of a heart in a gift shop up in Aitkin, MN. I loved the look of it, but the price was a bit high for me. I couldnt stop thinking about it though, and since doing our pallet projects earlier this summer we had plenty of spare wood laying around. When we went to the Minnesota State Fair at the end of August I came accross a booth selling bags of Lake Superior Agates for only $5. I picked one out, and decided to make a version of the plaque myself:
The wood was re-purposed from old pallets that I sanded a bit then stained. I glued the agates on with some industrial glue Dave had laying around the garage. The paint is just some white acrylic I already had, so the whole project cost me the $5 for the agates. I did all the sawing, drilling, sanding, staining, and gluing myself. The hardest part was putting the agates together like a puzzle to make a nice heart shape. I love how it turned out!